We’re just coming off a two day Spinnaker Summit hosted at Netflix HQ in Los Gatos, CA. Over 200 attendees from 50 companies attended, including from Google, Uber, Autodesk, CA, Netflix, Apple, Oracle, Verizon, Microsoft, Ericsson, ICANN, Capital One, Schibsted, AWS, Under Armour, BMC, Target, Cisco, Thomson Reuters, Intuit, Full Contact, Cerner, Cloudera, Armory, GoGo Air, Symantec, Scopely, Edmunds, R/GA, Box, Optimizely, VMWare, Wells Fargo, Lookout and others.
Armory presented its playbook on how to run a successful POC within an enterprise. Here’s a video of our presentation, with slides below that:
Other Speakers presented use-cases on how they are leveraging Spinnaker to:
- Enable global software best-practices in a multi-cloud environment.
- Move from data centers into public, private & hybrid clouds
- Use Spinnaker as a orchestration workflow engine to move teams from AMIs to Kubernetes and other next-gen container & serverless technologies
- Help application teams take service ownership with self-service pipelines and deployment visualizations
- Use automated canaries to reduce the need for integration testing and manual judgements (aka multiple manager approvals)
- Reduce SLA payouts and breaking of customer trust through deployment-related outages and service degradation
- Improve developer efficiency (code goes from check-in to production continuously instead of taking days or weeks) and happiness (no more deploying on Friday nights and getting paged on weekends)
- Perform cloud arbitrage and cost optimization (reduction of over-provisioning; using cloud resources more effectively)
Here are some pictures from the Summit: